[Tagging] Is information board title also its name?

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Thu Jan 28 19:35:43 UTC 2021

On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 20:02:14 +0100 (CET)
Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> I think that such boards can be described as being named, with title
> being their name.

No. They are not named like that. Suppose we stand together a hundred
meters away from the actual "Iglesia San Pedro Nolasco de los Molinos"
or "Dawny młyn bronowicki" and there is also a respective information
board nearby. If I tell you «lets go to "Iglesia San Pedro Nolasco de
los Molinos" or "Dawny młyn bronowicki"» then you will not think, oh, he
wants to visit that information board named "Iglesia San Pedro Nolasco
de los Molinos" or "Dawny młyn bronowicki", then lead me to the board
and present it to me with «here we are! that's "Iglesia San Pedro
Nolasco de los Molinos" or "Dawny młyn bronowicki"» while pointing at
the board, would you?

board:title is the much better fit for that and subject=*
(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:subject, or references to
wikidata/wikipedia) might be a good alternative or additional tag.

The name-key misuse is the most rampant one of all the quirks introduced by
mappers and the hardest to cope with since it is so easy to fall for it.