[Tagging] Deprecating and removing from OSM tag used as a bookmark by specific organisation

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Fri Jan 29 07:31:21 UTC 2021

THere is rfr tag defined as "To confirm the features of interest to Richmond BC Fire Rescue."

I think that such tags clearly should not be used, can be removed and are in general a bad
idea.

If someone wants to mark features relevant to them, they should do it in their own system
- not by adding tags to objects in OpenStreetMap database.

Would it be OK to mark this tag as deprecated and remove all of them (there is just 1168 of them).

Note also that user who added them is not editing for 6 years (though I still asked them
whatever this tag is even used).

See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:rfr

In case of other similar bookmark tags ("tags marking that organization/person marked
this objects as interesting/important to them" or "my favorite restaurants" etc) -
is it OK to just remove them as clearly out of scope of OSM?