[Tagging] reduction of the number of different keys talking about booking.com

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 17:38:49 UTC 2021

On Sun, 31 Jan 2021 at 16:42, Stefan Tauner <stefan.tauner at gmx.at> wrote:

> Do they have publicly visible IDs that can be used to construct URLs or
> the like (cf. happycow thread)? That would be the technically most
> sensible thing to store in OSM IMHO.

I'm tempted to suggest that we have a bot that nukes any booking.com
URL, however tagged, until they provide some feedback for correcting
errors.

If you install the app maps.me on your phone, it's a reasonably nice
offline map based on OSM.  You download countries of interest,
they get updated every so often (it used to be monthly, it's now
often bi-monthly).  Useful if you're wandering around in places
where cellular reception is poor.

However, POIs that bookings.com have some interest in are placed
wherever bookings.com says they are and not where OSM says
they are. I've mapped guesthouses where bookings.com has
influenced maps.me to ignore what I've mapped and place the
guesthouse elsewhere (up to 3 miles away in once case).  I
can find no way to report such errors either to maps.me
or bookings.com (unless the business is unclaimed and
I claim it).

I suggest we not only do not cater to them, we nuke them from
orbit.  Twice.  Just to be sure.  Until they can play nice with us,
I see no reason to play nice with them.

--
Paul