[Tagging] reduction of the number of different keys talking about booking.com

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Sun Jan 31 19:02:15 UTC 2021

On Sun, 31 Jan 2021 18:23:03 +0000
Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 31 Jan 2021 at 17:54, Stefan Tauner <stefan.tauner at gmx.at> wrote:
> >
> > The ones not playing nice is not booking.com according to your story.
> >

> Booking.com provides revenue to maps.me in return for maps.me
> handling their properties specially.  Other POIs not associated with
> bookings.com can be reported to maps.me as being in error in some
> way, the bookings.com ones cannot.

As I said: obviously maps.me is the problem.

> If the POI is already on the bookings.com website in
> the wrong place (or with other incorrect details) then having
> that incorrect place tagged in OSM to point to the incorrect
> details on bookings.com helps nobody.

I couldn't care less about where POIs on a proprietary website are
located. This has absolutely nothing to do with OSM apart from the lack
of our QA if such errors leak over from proprietary databases. By
itself it is absolutely no reason to not include links to booking.com
if this link is essential to users (there are lots of establishments
that do not have any other website and where booking.com is the only
online way to book accommodation).