[Tagging] hiking route from= and to= tags

michael spreng ml at osm.datendelphin.net
Fri Jul 2 11:48:02 UTC 2021

On 02.07.21 12:22, Enno Hermann wrote:

> No, the Swiss basic network is not simply a collection of isolated ways
> that are randomly interconnected. It is explicitly designed and
> signposted in the form of routes between two destinations, which are
> split into smaller segments between named guideposts. Guideposts do not
> show arbitrary nearby locations, but the next and final destinations of
> each route. While this is not always implemented perfectly because the
> network is huge and might have grown organically in places, the routes
> are updated over time to better follow these guidelines.
>
> These routes can also contain permanently signposted deviations to avoid
> difficult sections (even if the marked SAC level is the same), sections
> that are closed depending on season or impassable depending on weather
> conditions. This can't be mapped with a single tag on the ways.
> Maintenance is also much easier with relations grouping the relevant
> ways and metadata like start and destination.

This was already discussed on the talk-ch mailing list linked in the
first post. No one said they are randomly interconnected. There are so
called "technical routes". See "Wanderwegnetzplanung" linked here
https://www.astra.admin.ch/astra/de/home/themen/langsamverkehr/vollzugshilfen.html
available in German, French, Italian but not English. But those are for
planning mainly. And there is no explicit link to the signed
destinations. There will be a reasonable overlap. If you read the
discussion, you will see a rather elaborate description on how to puzzle
those routes together from the constraints of signed destinations.
I'm against solving riddles for mapping, if there even is a solution
independent of who mapped it, and I see no additional value for hikers.
Few will want to follow a technical rout from the beginning to the end.
They want to get to the summit, or the nice lake. Not review the work of
the planning committee.

I think Sarah is spot on. We could map it as a simple tag on the way.
Let's not get carried away by all the possibilities that relations could
also do.

Michael