[Tagging] Planning route in the shade during hikes either in urban areas or forests

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 01:24:33 UTC 2021

This fits in the discussion we recently had about other highway related
hazards
(https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2021-April/061315.html
for gravel smoothness etc.. but applicable for other hazards).

The presence of shade or not is a possible mitigation for several
hazards.  I think about 2 very distinct hazards: heat and sunlight. Heat
is an issue for most people, sunlight not necessary, as people with
darker skin are not necessarily bothered by excessive sunlight.
Excessive sunlight, thus the absence or presence of shade can also be a
hazard in cold climates during winter, in regard to snow blindness.
Heat can extend to the periods when a surface is shaded, think about an
asphalt road which has overheated and keeps heating the direct air above
long time after the period it was exposed to direct sunlight. A serious
hazard, even for pedestrians or hikers with darker skin or drivers
without airco.

So instead of inventing some kind of a shade tag I would go for
hazard=heat and hazard=sunlight. Add sufficient data to allow external
programs to do an appropriate risk analysis so a user can make a
decision based on the residual risk and his use case.
The cases where shade matters are so variable and of importance for
different users, not just for hiking, it is unfeasible to find an
appropriate tagging scheme that fits all or let all OSM users in all
places all over the world come to the same conclusions.

Further defining or quantifying the hazards with severity and frequency
(like seasonal tag, periods of a day) and eventually a threshold (like
average air temperature) can provide just sufficient data to allow
decision making by a user and make the tag viable for a long period,
having climate change in mind.
The level of detailing, like splitting a highway in ridiculous small
detailed sections is also not feasible as already identified in this
discussion.  It comes to the same principle as f.i. we use for
potholes.  We don't create a highway section for every pothole but
incorporate it in a severity classification or one could add a certain
percentage.

Hazard can be applied on ways but also more detailed on areas, thus you
can use it for larger areas with varying shade or heat exposure due to
absence of shade. Specifying hazards like heat and sunlight will also
make this data interesting for use with other applications like sun
blinding in evening periods, planning of buildings, buffer zones, sun
screens, camping spots, etc... .

Greetings,

Bert Araali