[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Key:harvesting

Joshua Carlson jdcarls2 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 19:17:01 UTC 2021

You've never seen me "foraging", then!

The words do have slightly different meanings in their typical use, but I
consider "foraging" to be a *type* of "harvesting", the key difference
being whether the source plant was specifically cultivated for the
harvesting activity. I don't know that it's a distinction that needs
separate tagging, though, as the activity itself could be quite similar.

My garden is tiny, but I "harvest" from it a few tomatoes at a time. When
the serviceberries are ripe, if I had the time and resources to "forage"
all the berries growing near the library and the space to store it all, I
would, and have obtained permission to do so. Trying to define when a
harvesting activity crosses from "picking a few apples" to "harvesting the
orchard" feels unavoidably arbitrary.

That said, if a given property owner wanted to establish some kind of limit
on harvests, such as "personal use only" or "no more than you can carry",
that seems like something that could warrant separate tagging. I'll have to
see if there are clear examples of harvest limits out there.