[Tagging] barrier=kerb + kerb=lowered

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Tue Jun 8 18:41:20 UTC 2021

On 6/7/2021 5:59 PM, Daniel Koć wrote:
> "Impassable" is just a generalization, the reality might be more
> complex. Consider subway gates - passable for sure (some can even jump
> over it), but still it's a barrier.
>
> So is kerb - it makes it hard to let vehicles get into the pedestrian
> zone, but pretty easy for pedestrians to cross it. However typical kerb
> is also a barrier for people with/on chairs:
>
> https://americanhistory.si.edu/blog/smashing-barriers-access-disability-activism-and-curb-cuts
>
> Even if it's lowered, it can still be a barrier for wheels when water
> channel is located there.

It's understood that many features that fall under barrier=* are
barriers for some modes of transit, but not others. The problem here is
that the documented definition of barrier=kerb -- proposed here on this
mailing list, approved by vote, and explicitly worded in the wiki --
says that it's a barrier for wheelchair users. The purpose of a lowered
kerb is to eliminate that barrier. If the barrier has been eliminated,
the barrier=kerb tag is no longer accurate.

There may be some instances where a kerb is insufficiently lowered and a
wheelchair barrier still exists. I believe that this is the exception,
not the rule, but in those cases combining barrier=kerb with
kerb=lowered might make sense. Including kerb:height=* would also be a
good idea, to clarify the situation.

If there's a water channel that has wheelchair routing implications,
then map that. But that's not a kerb and it doesn't belong in the
barrier=kerb tag.

Jason