[Tagging] Is tag leisure=sports_hall suitable for riding halls?

Hufkratzer hufkratzer at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 09:43:54 UTC 2021

On 07.06.2021 11:58  Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> sent from a phone
>
>> On 7 Jun 2021, at 11:49, Hufkratzer<hufkratzer at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>> Then how would you map the examples that I mentioned initially where the building has nearly the same size as the riding arena:
> it is not a question of size
>

>> 1. building=tent (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Equitent_textile_Reithalle.jpg)
>> 2. building=roof (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjVCeE-4Ht0)
>> I assume one should not draw two areas of the same size one on top of the other.
> you could do exactly this, draw an overlapping pitch. Or reuse the way with a multipolygon relation.
> You could also imply the building with an attribute, for example covered=yes on the pitch
>
> Cheers Martin

What does "imply the building with [...] covered=yes" mean? Does it mean
just to map one object with leisure=pitch + covered=yes?

If I understand page key:covered correctly, covered=yes means that an
object (the pitch) is covereed by some *other* object (the roof or
perhaps a bridge); it does not mean that one object (the pitch) has a
roof included in itself (and indeed a pitch cannot have a roof itself, a
pitch is only a pitch and can only be under a roof or a bridge or so).
The page for leisure=pitch doen't mention covered=yes and only 4.2k of
1854.7k (=0.2%) of all pitches have a covered=* tag, and less than half
of them (1.7k) have covered=yes.

So one could map a covered pitch with a roof of the same size as the
pitch like:

object 1: leisure=pitch + covered=yes
object 2: building=roof

or perhaps with the problematic shortcut:

object 1: leisure=pitch + covered=yes + building=roof
(Then *assume* that the pitch is covered and not the roof)

But is covered=yes needed here? For what? What does "imply the building
with [...] covered=yes" mean?

BTW: In the wiki the group for key:covered was recently changed from
Placement to Properties. Is that correct?