[Tagging] Disabled access on footpaths

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sat Jun 12 11:09:08 UTC 2021

  I'm starting to map a new (ish) nature reserve which has permissive
  access footpaths (that bit is easy), and some of those footpaths are
  suitable for wheelchair users.

I have been mapping trails and starting to think about this issue too.

I think it's really important to separate physical suitability from what
we put in the access tag.   My impression about access for the US
matches another commenter's, expanded to:

  Wheelchairs and mobility scooters are replacements for pedestrian
  access.  They don't really have anything to do with bicycles, although
  that aspect is debatable.

  It is pretty much unthinkable to have someplace that allows
  pedestrians but not wheelchairs.  There is essentially never
  controversy about this.

  Mobility scooter use by the disabled (perhaps certified disabled) is
  sort of allowed whereever pedestrians are allowed, but with
  limitations.  This is slightly controversial as there are many "no
  motorized vehicle" places, and scooters are heavier and capable of
  faster speeds.  An example policy, picked because I was able to find
  it, but a tagging scheme should be able to cope with a large number of
  such policies:
    http://www.middlesexcountynj.gov/Government/Departments/IM/Documents/Parks%20and%20Rec/Reservations/Trails%20Mobility%20Policy%202021%205.11.21.pdf

A summary of the policy is that wheelchairs (unpowered) are allowed,
period, and that powered devices have a presumption of being allowed
except where it wouldn't be safe and there are rules per trail.

So I conclude that at top level we have to represent three things
(specific tags are to explain, not really proposals):

  wheelchair=yes -- a wheelchair can physically travel

  wheelchair:access=no -- wheelchairs are prohibited (but pedestrians
  are allowed).  I don't think we need this, until there's a non-trivial
  exmmple.

  mobility_scooter:physical=yes -- a mobility_scooter can physically travel

  mobility_scooter:access=no -- mobility scooters are prohibited, even
  though foot traffic and wheelchairs are allowed

Then there is the issue of grades of wheelchair suitability.  I have
known multiple people using wheelchairs, and the difference in ability
to travel among individuals is significant.  Consider a 90 year old who
is generally not able to do much, with a traditional wheelchair, and
someone who is 18 with strong arms but can't use their legs to walk,
with a carbon-fiber sport wheelchair.

The existing key
  https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:wheelchair
is to me very clearly about physical access.

It says that for the US, wheelchair=yes means meeting ADA requirements.
Those are pretty strict, and there are many places that don't meet them
exactly but that most wheelchair users can in practice go.  Then there
are things that are walking paths, trails, that become more difficult.

So I think we need something like sac_scale, to indicate

  ADA compliance (or the equivalent?), which is about max slope, curbs,
  resting areas, and a bunch of other technical design requirements

  suitable for someone in a heavy regular wheelchair who can't deal with
  too much

  suitable for someone with more arm strength who is willing to put up
  with bumps

  suitable for sport wheelchair use

I don't presume to have gotten that right, and I'm basically certain I
didn't -- but it's an example of how complicated this might be.   I
would think there are disability organizations that have some
definitions used in guides, and we really should figure that out and
adopt their labels rather than making our own (hence the sac_scale
reference).

Greg