[Tagging] Re-using the marker tag for survey points

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 23:36:11 UTC 2021

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 at 23:36, Kyle Hensel <K.y.l.e at outlook.co.nz> wrote:

> Hi, a suggestion on the Survey Point proposal (
> https://wiki.osm.org/Proposed_features/Survey_Markers) was to re-use the
> tag marker=* instead of creating survey_point:structure=*
>

> This sounds like a good idea, but there are some issues:
>
> * Some values of survey_point:structure= are not valid for utility poles,
> and vice-versa, so the marker=* tag would become complicated - some values
> can only be used with certain tag combinations.

Not good.  Some mappers will mistakenly use wrong combinations.

* It will be difficult to create presets in editors like iD because of the
> foregoing point – fetching a list of common values from taginfo wouldn’t
> tell you which values are valid for which features.

Because it would require special-case code to figure out which values are
valid (yeah, table-driven but extra work, especially when new values are
added) then iD's authors are likely to refuse to implement a preset for it.

* there will be a tagging conflict for survey points on the same node as a
> utility pole, since it’s not clear what marker=* refers to (like the
> service=* tag on roads/railways)

I don't know if this happens in reality, but it probably could happen.
Another reason not to do this.

> So what does this mailing list think of using the marker=* tag instead of
> creating survey_point:structure=* ?

I can only speak for me, but I think it's not a workable idea.

--
Paul