[Tagging] Feature proposal - RFC - Power substations nodes extension

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 18:34:32 UTC 2021

Dear all

RFC now starts on this very particular proposal
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Substation_nodes_extension

As mapping several features on the same node may be tricky on OSM, I intend
to refine compatibility and directions to combine power substations and
transformers in cabinets or on top of poles when it's relevant only.
Most existing power features will be left untouched.

Some countries (France at least) use to sign poles with transformer as
substations and others (USA, Japan at least) don't.
Mappers may be confused when it come to choose between transformer and
substation, to nest one in the other on the same node.
Despite it's highly detailed mapping, I hope motivations are perfectly
clear when looking at examples section.

Feel free to comment on Talk page

All the best

François