[Tagging] hiking route from= and to= tags

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 20:35:46 UTC 2021

The Swiss basic network is in essence a node_network where the nodes have
node names instead of the "legacy" node numbers or codes. The next release
of Knooppuntnet Planner <https://knooppuntnet.nl/de/map/hiking> will
support named network nodes. The French are anticipating on that by using
mnemonics as node labels, soon to be replaced by actual names. Search e.g.
for Valmeinier (France) to get an impression.

To see a fully functional hiking node network using just numbers and codes,
zoom in almost anywhere in  Nederland. Try Breda. The network crosses the
borders as well.

This planner is built on OSM data, refresh is every 10 minutes or so. The
user plans a route by clicking or tapping network nodes and network routes.
Output is a list of node numbers/refs (names will appear next release), a
gpx of the planned route, a link to the route or a QR code linking to the
route.
The planner supports other recreational transport modes as well, e.g. the
cycling network is fully developed.

Once named nodes are supported, it is not difficult to transform the Swiss
basic network to a functional node network. With care, because it would
involve mass edit to add the network:type=node_network tag. And with dull
but doable work to add the network nodes. Once that is achieved and the
French keep going, we can use the Knooppuntnet Planner to plan hikes from
Amsterdam to Escholzmatt over the connected node networks.

Fr Gr Peter Elderson