[Tagging] Use of highway=track vs highway=service cemeteries, parks, allotment gardens, golf courses, and recreation areas

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 04:55:56 UTC 2021

The subject of tracks has also been discussed on the Australian list over
this last week or so, partially as an off-shoot of this thread.

One of the blokes has made this suggestion:

"road surfaces change, both overtime and the length of the
road and there is also the perception of the user.

The Wiki appears to be a shemozzle and it might be a great place to start
so that in the future we have a uniformed and easy to understand. The
Taginfo query shows confusion from the editor suggestions and doesn't allow
easy use by third party apps to render tracks etc.

Could consideration be made to move to a two tier system of surface=paved,
unpaved and then surface:paved=* and surface:unpaved=* ? Coupling this with
smoothness would make the data easier to digest and we could merge the
duplicates or extend the schema to surface:unpaved:gravel=course
surface:unpaved:gravel=fine etc. ?"

Definitely worth thinking about!

Thanks

Graeme