[Tagging] Bridge highway=motorway classification

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Mar 2 16:35:13 UTC 2021

Feb 27, 2021, 20:34 by tagging at openstreetmap.org:

> There seems to have been a certain number of edit wars over the classification of various major bridges in New York City. As far as I can tell, there's no consistent method used here right now for determining whether a bridge is > highway=motorway>  or > highway=trunk>  or > highway=primary> .
>

> One of the main criteria for what is a > highway=motorway>  is that it has no intersection controls on the main roadway (such as traffic-signals, rotaries and roundabouts, and stop signs or stop markings). Bridges usually don't have intersections, so that is not useful here.

I think that it is still useful - is there an intersection control before/after bridge?

If short stretch of road (say, 8 km) has no intersection controls but outside that there are
traffic signals/rotaries/etc then I would not tag it as highway=motorway

> Another important factor is that > highway=>  tags should apply where reasonable to the whole road, not just a segment of it.

Yes, in general classification should not change suddenly. Primary ending
on crossing of highway=residential and highway=residential
is extremely unlikely to be correct.

Road may change classification while keeping name. See
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/384158490#map=16/50.0676/19.9147
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/155190161#map=18/50.06531/19.92717

But Williamsburg Bridge looks weird to me (warning! I am unfamiliar with that place!)