[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Barbershop

nathan case nathancase at outlook.com
Wed Mar 3 14:13:13 UTC 2021

“male=yes tag, as it refers to the style, not the gender as in the Equality Act"

That seems to me like redefining of the tag. It certainly isn’t what the wiki says (though, of course, I acknowledge the wiki isn’t a rule book). The female/male=yes tag is clearly defined as a restriction based on sex or gender. It is not about what style or service a place offers/caters to.

If you want to use those tags in that way, you’d have to redefine them to include “target audience” i.e. “Denotes that access is restricted *or generally targeted* to persons of the female/male sex or gender”

To clarify, I’m not suggesting redefining the meanings of those tags. I am saying that “shop=hairdressers, male=yes” is not sufficient to accurately describe a barbers. The female/male tag could, of course, be used alongside another tag but only (as defined) to indicate if the restriction to a sex/gender does truly exist.

Cheers.