[Tagging] Use of =?utf-8?Q?highway=3Dtrack_?=vs =?utf-8?Q?highway=3Dservice_?=cemeteries, parks, allotment gardens, golf courses, and recreation areas

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Fri Mar 5 09:50:40 UTC 2021

Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Could consideration be made to move to a two tier system of
> surface=paved, unpaved and then surface:paved=* and
> surface:unpaved=* ? Coupling this with smoothness would
> make the data easier to digest

No it wouldn't!

This is over-complicating things and really, really unnecessary.

If surface=gravel then it's unpaved, because... it's gravel. If surface=ground it's unpaved, because... it's ground. And so on. You really do not need two keys to express this.

It does not make it easier to digest. It makes it harder. Trust me. I probably do more complex surface parsing for cycle.travel than any other data consumer and this would be no help whatsoever, it would just be yet more code I have to write.

Friendly tip: the one thing above all that makes OSM data harder to digest is constantly reinventing well-established tags in the manner of https://xkcd.com/927/ .

Richard