[Tagging] Use of highway=track vs highway=service cemeteries, parks, allotment gardens, golf courses, and recreation areas

Mark Wagner mark+osm at carnildo.com
Fri Mar 5 19:55:25 UTC 2021

On Fri, 5 Mar 2021 11:06:55 +0100
Marc_marc <marc_marc at mailo.com> wrote:

> Le 05.03.21 à 10:50, Richard Fairhurst a écrit :
> > You really do not need two keys to express this.
>
> I agree, but the fact that each tool has to build a list of values
> and then classify them into main groups is not ideal either.
> you have made such a list, others also make such a list and with each
> new value, you have to make a new piece of code to say that the new
> "ultra precise" value is in practice in category A or B
>
> at least there should be a way to build this list in a collaborative
> way and easily readable by a program, this would allow to build a
> preprocessor to group all the ultra detailed values into larger groups
> for those who do not need to make the difference between a
> paving_stone variant A and variant B.

"Paved" versus "unpaved" is not a clear distinction.  For example, the
American Southwest has what's called "slickrock": bare, level
sandstone.  From a driving perspective, it's effectively a paved
surface: it doesn't get muddy when wet, and it's got incredible
weight-bearing capacity.  But it's not a man-made surface.

Should you classify that under "paved", or "unpaved"?

--
Mark