[Tagging] Deprecation - waterway=riverbank vs water=river

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 21:07:01 UTC 2021

Without announcing anything in this thread and without consensus ZeLonewolf
has  nearly completed a Blitz to push through this change...
I consider this in the first place an operation of bad faith and it should
be immediately stopped and reverted.

The whole process is controlled  from a personal wiki page
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:ZeLonewolf/Procedure/River_modernization>
.

It was executed as far as I can see by people with no local knowledge
producing important errors - I stopped after the first two rivers I looked
at, both had serious errors. The first one had a spelling error *Fiume Zero
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/105082369>" (correct name) on the center
way and "Fluro Zero <https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/912239873>" on the
(newly created) riverbank. The second river had lost at least one Island.
Errors on such large objects are difficult to spot as the soften complex
multipolygons.

The tag in question waterway=riverbank
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:waterway%3Driverbank> is a valid
tag with its wiki page and its JOSM preset.
The tag is not on th wiki list of deprecated features
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Deprecated_features>, to the contrary
that page lists waterway=riverbank as on of the recommended substitutions
for the deprecated landcover
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landcover>=wate
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landcover%3Dwater>r

Volker