[Tagging] RFC: Seaway key - proposal for mapping ports

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 00:59:42 UTC 2021

I must admit that this proposal doesn't address all the worldwide
"harbours" for small scale "non-leisure" and "anchorages".

We tagged all of these as leisure=marina
(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dmarina
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dmarina>), although
they are mostly not for pleasure boats and yachts as the wiki says, just
because there wasn't a suitable tag in OSM. Here we call them "landing
sites".  Mostly they are not "developed" ports, just beaches or shallow
water, bays etc... where fishermen land and or moor their boats (and
some of them are big, having hundreds of boats). "Small" boats in
western terms but some of them can be of a reasonable size and locally
called "big boats", but not trawlers or ships. So there is a large gap,
which is not addressed by this proposal.

This proposal also doesn't seem to address specifically how we should
tag ports in sweat water bodies, large lakes have large boats both for
cargo and as ferries. However this proposal only seems to target "sea"
ports. Our landing sites are similar, regardless if they appear along
the ocean or sea or at large lakes, of which we have many.
We never or rarely use the harbour=yes tag, as it says on the
leisure=marina page it should only be used for "suitable for ships,
trawlers or sea-going vessels" or use harbour to relate them to sites
where you have some kind of man_made mooring, piers or docks.  And if we
have man_made facilities most of these places are called "ports", not
harbour, which is going to be very confusing if this proposal is
restricted to sea-ports.

Which brings me to my final point, why new top-level key(s) in a rather
confusing key as "seaway" instead of extending the wiki page and
additional values or combinations in the existing harbour=*
(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:harbour
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:harbour>), which can be used
for both sweat and salt water bodies, harbours and ports alike ? Why
deviate significantly from the wiki page on harbours
(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Harbour
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Harbour>) that describes these
features and the different terms (port, harbour etc...) quite well in my
opinion without referring to any "seaway" tag or gap in tagging.  Is
this going to depreciate harbour=*, create a duplicate tagging scheme
for harbours at sea ? Can you please clarify ?

Greetings,

Bert Araali