[Tagging] RFC: Seaway key - proposal for mapping ports

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Sat Mar 6 03:41:19 UTC 2021

On Mar 5, 2021, at 6:26 PM, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 at 11:35, stevea <steveaOSM at softworkers.com> wrote:
> Do we want a "catch-all, marine version?"  It's looking like Seaway is it.
>
> I agree that it's a good term, & as mentioned, a good match for highway, railway, airway etc.
>
> One problem though is that we do already have https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:waterway%3Dseaway. Marked as abandoned with only 70 uses so I'm not sure if that would cause issues?

As 70 is "dozens" (not thousands or millions) that doesn't "break the scale with too heavy" of effort.  Still, each need to be looked at ad hoc and dealt with.  Responsibility back to author(s), I'd say, currently Martin K started us down this path.  Of course, others welcome to chime in, too, though it seems like the three of us, rather quickly, pulled off a big hank of bubble gum to chew here.  I'm sure it's an even bigger iceberg.  OK, OK, I'll turn the volume down with the bad puns.

Yes, the whole seamark and OpenSeaMap (I have some of those binaries on µSD media for my Garmin!) ecosystems, that's a lot already (sub-tagging environments, more...).

I do resonate with Martin K's "listen to the wind blow" approach here, but it's like tying together entire navies and oceans as well as "the dock on the local pond" and "George's boat, which, you know, he lives on and runs his business with."  It's such a huge topic and already has multiple sub-tagging environments.  Vast scope.  Like "stack overflow," I simply "scope overflow."  I don't think that's simply me as I do.

It's been a bubbly dialog,
SteveA