[Tagging] Is it OK to consider and describe landcover=water as deprecated?

Marc_marc marc_marc at mailo.com
Sat Mar 6 08:57:52 UTC 2021

Hello,

Le 06.03.21 à 07:47, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging a écrit :
> landcover=water is a tag
> duplicating more widely used tags such
> as natural=water, waterway=riverbank etc

Just because there are tags describing landuse + tags
describing leisure activities + "amenity tag" that together
cover (or not) all possible uses of a water surface,
does not mean that they are tags with the same meaning.
The question seems to me to be badly put, it would be like
saying "should one who wants to add a shop also be obliged
to add the building" or "should one who adds A be obliged to add B?
in my opinion no, the person who wants to add the landcover
has no obligation to find out whether it is a leisure=swimming_pool
or not in order to choose a tag describing something other than
the ground cover with the strange argument that by describing
the use it describes the landcover.

> PS I really, really want to avoid people
> doing "I am migrating tagging to
> landcover=water" and being able to
> justify it with Wiki page.

so the wiki need to be improved that changing
the landuse into a landcover isn't an improvement.
both can co-exist.
imho your last change isn't an improvemend.
you are still saing that somebody 'lling to describe
a landcover should find the correct amenity or leisure
or natural or landuse to describe the landcover
Orthogonal tags are already listed in the Orthogonal tags section.

Regards,
Marc