[Tagging] Is it OK to consider and describe landcover=water as deprecated?

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Sat Mar 6 11:40:03 UTC 2021

On Saturday 06 March 2021, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging wrote:
> landcover=water is a tag
>
> duplicating more widely used tags suchas natural=water,
> waterway=riverbank etc with minimal use
> (1038 uses worldwide, compared to say11 040 604 of natural=water)

This once again touches what is the core problem of tagging
documentation on the wiki, namely that we have two large factions among
wiki editors:

* those who want the wiki to document what the tags mean and how they
are used.
* those who want the wiki to reflect what they think the tags should
mean and who see wiki editing as a political struggle for opinion
leadership on that.

I have no clear solution for this problem.  One approach would be to
split the tagging documentation on the wiki into two parts, one for the
former, one for the latter.  The problem however is that it is not
unlikely that in that case the adherents of the latter use of the wiki
would still try to push their views in the documentation meant to
reflect the de facto use of tags.

--
Christoph Hormann
https://www.imagico.de/