[Tagging] RFC: Seaway key - proposal for mapping ports

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 12:01:08 UTC 2021

sent from a phone

> On 6 Mar 2021, at 02:03, Bert -Araali- Van Opstal <bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com> wrote:
> I must admit that this proposal doesn't address all the worldwide "harbours" for small scale "non-leisure" and "anchorages".
>
> We tagged all of these as leisure=marina (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dmarina), although they are mostly not for pleasure boats and yachts as the wiki says, just because there wasn't a suitable tag in OSM.

I think these should be covered, maybe with a new type seaway=landing_site
tagging them as leisure=marina (although understandable you wanted to see something on current maps), can be seen as tagging for the rendering and the sooner we’ll fix it the better

> This proposal also doesn't seem to address specifically how we should tag ports in sweat water bodies, large lakes have large boats both for cargo and as ferries. However this proposal only seems to target "sea" ports.

indeed it is covering infrastructure for ocean going vessels, leaving out those places that are used only by inland water traffic (assuming they were already covered in waterway, or could be added there if still missing). When facilities are serving both, the new key guarantees that both kind of tags can be applied.

Cheers Martin