[Tagging] RFC: Seaway key - proposal for mapping ports

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Sun Mar 7 08:53:56 UTC 2021

This is one of those cases where "vertex connectivity" is what matters (i.e. two ports are connected by a ship that calls at both and do we say "calls at a port" or "calls at a harbor?"  Both are OK?).  Blowing sideways because of wind and tides is to be expected on nautical routes (and to some degree, aeronautical, which divert for things like circling a busy airfield) — ships have lanes, too.  Well, "connectivity" is what is going to matter to a particular data consumer interested in a container ship to deliver goods on time.  This makes ferry routes and shipping routes something mappable:  tangible things in the real world that get people, things from A to B.  Like busses and the subway.  It isn't always critical whether the squiggles follow the real world's twists and turns of actual geography.  A logical "here to there on a one seat ride" might matter the most, so the data speak to that.

I don't know whether or which waterway or maritime; I step away from this syntax.  Here, well-crafted syntax follows well-crafted semantics.  For "Seaway," those aren't guided by tangible scope right now.  Like catching rain in buckets.  Tame its scope and Seaway can fill the niche it itches for.  Whether it will or won't is up to those who might build it (as usual).