[Tagging] Proposed rewrite Of highway=track wiki page

Brian M. Sperlongano zelonewolf at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 12:58:04 UTC 2021

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 6:46 AM Christoph Hormann <osm at imagico.de> wrote:

> It seems you are trying essentially to re-define a tag with more than 20
> million uses.

Quite the contrary, if you follow the discussion on the talk page from Zeke
and other editors trying to fix this documentation, it's clear that the
effort is an attempt to document how the tag is actually being used,
certainly not to "re-define" it.

> Independent of that you are framing highway=track as a residual tag
> closing the OSM tagging system for two-track roads.  According to your
> writing any rural road that does dot qualify as
> highway=service/residential/unclassified is to be tagged as
> highway=track independent of physical characteristics or function.

What are examples of roads that don't meet this description?

> The main issue with the current documentation of highway=track is that
> it is centered around the agricultural/forestry use concept and that
> practical use of the tag evidently goes beyond that in many parts of
> the world

Accurate assessment.

> A fitting generic definition would be
> roads that primarily serve as access to the land itself in contrast to
> roads that serve for people to access specific objects on the land or
> to move between objects.

While these roads certainly provide "access to the land", this description
is so broad that it would re-define the tag to encompass usages well beyond
its current use if literally interpreted by mappers, and I doubt it would
translate well.