[Tagging] Proposed rewrite Of highway=track wiki page

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Mon Mar 8 13:43:37 UTC 2021

Mar 8, 2021, 14:05 by ezekielf at gmail.com:

> Mateusz' example of a two lane logging road.  I would not have considered tagging that as highway=track but instead as highway=unclassified with appropriate surface and smoothness values.  My mental model of a track is something that is just wide enough for one vehicle, but if it is appropriate to consider wider roads tracks in some cases I'd like to understand why.

In this specific case it was clearly highway=track as it was

- used by vehicles solely and only for logging forest (and by tourists as annoying connecting segment)
- was not paved, though with decent amount of gravel
- large enough to qualify for lanes=2 (though I would not bother with tagging that),
large logging machinery could comfortably pass each other

It was one of main roads leading to sawmill/wood processing factory located directly in mountains.

Yes, it was extreme oddity, I would bet that below 0.01% tracks qualify for
lanes=2 lane_markings=no
https://puszcza-bialowieska.blogspot.com/2013/06/droga-browska-jak-autostrada.html
has someone documenting (and complaining about) overengineered highway=track,
with 5m wide carriageway (on distance of 400m)

Note
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jAGmNC09qBA/UbOk3HpK58I/AAAAAAAAFn0/pNX-NFDDetQ/s1600/_DSC2148.jpg
that shows it in comparison with sane highway=track and shows that it may be also
qualifying for lanes=2 lane_markings=no