[Tagging] Proposed rewrite Of highway=track wiki page

Zeke Farwell ezekielf at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 14:44:08 UTC 2021

Interesting.  I am familiar with wide logging roads like the one shown
here:
https://puszcza-bialowieska.blogspot.com/2013/06/droga-browska-jak-autostrada.html
I would not expect it to be tagged as 'track' though.  I would expect
'unclassified' because the wide logging roads I'm thinking of connect from
the general road network to the narrower logging roads that I would expect
to be tagged as 'track'.  In my mind the classification 'track' is a
combination of function/purpose and physical characteristics.  A driveway
to a house may match the physical description by looking like this
tracktype grade3 example (
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Tracktype_grade3.jpg), but it does
not match the functional description because it provides access to a full
time residence.  A wide logging road matches the functional description by
being primarily for logging, but does not meet the physical description
because it is wide enough for two large vehicles to pass.  Perhaps my
mental model is too narrow though.  I will be interested to here more
feedback on the subject.