[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - trailblazed=poles;cairns

Jaromír Mikeš mira.mikes at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 16:07:18 UTC 2021

Hello Volker,

po 8. 3. 2021 v 14:41 odesílatel Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> napsal:

> I see a serious implementation problem in the European Alps where the
> traditional trailblazing is often a complete mix of guideposts (I presume
> that the "poles" in the proposal are "guideposts" in OSM-speak), small
> shields applied to building or trees or lamp-poles or ..., painted marks on
> trees or on stones in the ground or on rock walls, and cairns in higher
> altitude situations.

No ... they are definitely not "guidepost" ... here is starting a
misunderstanding.

guidepost bearing some information like an arrow showing direction for
destination and distance to destination and also sometimes giving
information about color in which is given route marked

poles I am talking about on contrary giving no information except the
information that you are on  path ... they are just row of poles beside a
route in more or less regular spacing ( let's say 15m )
The purpose of these poles is to help navigate in difficult conditions like
mist, dark heavy snowfall and so on. Then you just walk, ski or snowmobile
quite safely from pole to pole to your destination.
https://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ty%C4%8Dov%C3%A9_zna%C4%8Den%C3%AD#/media/Soubor:Szrenica_Karkonosze_Old_01.jpg

cairn works in a similar way as poles described above ... except they are
usually built in a less organized manner as they are usually built by
hikers fellows who visited the same place before you.

best

mira

> In particular guideposts are traditionally used at junctions between
> trails or with roads.
> Typically such trails will have no "sections with guideposts", but nodes
> with guideposts.
>
> I know that the tendency is to have the guideposts signs an the guideposts
> themselves with their dedicated IDs plus QR code and registered in
> databases (including in OSM). And these guideposts are tagged separately in
> OSM, and included as nodes in the route relations.
>
> And there are very few trails that are entirely signposted where the signs
> are on dedicated posts or other pre-existing supports.
>

> On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 at 06:24, Jaromír Mikeš <mira.mikes at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello Andrew,
>>
>> po 8. 3. 2021 v 5:16 odesílatel Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com>
>> napsal:
>>
>>> Sounds great.
>>>
>>> I'd suggest adding
>>>
>>> trailblazed=ribbons (usually coloured tape/ribbons tied to a tree branch)
>>> trailblazed=markers (usually just a spot/dot fixed to a tree or the