[Tagging] Proposed rewrite Of highway=track wiki page

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 23:06:29 UTC 2021

When I talk to my 8 year old daughter, who is very interested in
becoming an OSM mapper, or try to engage people from the community who
was not so fortunate to have higher education, I always use the example
of a tree to explain the different classification mechanisms.

Every linear part of the tree transports sap, all roads that take living
beings from A to B is a road. That's our basic classification.

Trunk roads, as fortunately the word already says, is like the trunk of
a tree.  It's strategic, it takes the sap, the minerals, the sugars from
one important place to another, from the roots to the crown and vice versa.
Some trees have wide trunks, other narrow.  Some might have a lot of sap
running through it, some not. Some have short trunks, others are high
and long.  That doesn't however change the fact that all of them are trunks.

Their are trees who have multiple trunks, but they are the same
important, but you might call them primary, like primary roads.  They
are still strategic but provide roads to move from one strategic place
to multiple other strategic places, multiple crowns, or one crown fed by
multiple trunks.
So Primary roads are strategic roads, you might also call them trunk
roads, although we prefer trunk to identify a single strategic road.

Secondary, or if you want collector roads, collect the sap traffic from
the major branches to direct it to the trunk.

Tertiary, or if you want feeder roads, collect the sap from minor
branches to direct it to the collector branches.

Residential roads, or if you want local roads, are the stems that lead
to the leafs, or the smallest branches with many leaves. Like the roads
that lead to one or more houses. So what about industrial roads ? Yep,
they are the same, they are also local roads, like the stems or small
branches that carry the fruits or the flowers. The stems have exactly
the same function, they carry the sap locally.  We have chosen the word
residential, because most of them lead to houses where people live, work
etc... Like mostly there are more leaves then factories or fruits.

Why service roads ? Well, some leaves grow on one single stem, sometimes
leaves look different, and you have multiple leaves on one stem.  If the
stem belongs to one leave, it serves 1 particular leave only, we call it
a stem serving 1 purpose, it's a service road. The same like some houses
are build along a road, a local road, don't have driveways because they
are close and along the road.  Others are more far, and have their own
driveway. So those driveways are service roads.

A satelite image of a road network looks much the same like a tree.

Why do we need unclassified ? Look at it from the point of view from an
ant, walking on the tree.  The ant only knows that it walks on a road,
it can't see that far to see if that road is a minor branch or a major
branch, or even a shallow trunk.  It does however know that it is
something that belongs to one of these, because sap runs through it.
It's like a mapper in the field without a satellite imagery. The ant can
only find out what the road exactly is, by walking all the way from one
end to the other, or by asking other ants who already acquired that
knowledge.  In case they are not there, it should call it unclassified,
to indicate it needs more information to assign a final judgement.

So where does the classification end up with track ? Well, all branches
that are in the early stages of development, that have not led to the
development of fruits or leaves or flowers, all of those transport sap
but have no clear determination yet.  All those remain tracks.

What about motorway, express-way, path, the classification based on
throughput.  Also there is a very good similarity with our tree. To
increase the throughput of sap, a tree may grow a wider trunk. To
increase the flow of sap a human may trim some branches on the trunk.
Cut or trim some minor branches from major branches etc...
Motorways, express-ways and paths are tracks where specific access
AND/OR physical measures are have evolved spontaneously or taken
purposely to improve the throughput.
For motorway and express-way: higher speed desired, so access
restrictions for slower then average speed.
For path: slower speed desired: so access restrictions for higher then
average speed.
So the most important criteria here is separation based on speed.  Other
measures taken are there only to further support the throughput.  More
lanes, width, lane width etc... are some of these measures but not the
prime and most important: separation.
So I might have wide motorways, narrow motorways, narrow paths, wide paths.

Path comes here as a difficult case here to find similarity.  The best
comparison could be the nerves in a leaf, they are still transport ways
for sap, but slow moving. These nerves can be wide or narrow, but all
are typical because of slow moving sap.

Remains, what are tracks: all roads that have no specific socio-economic
purpose and where no intervention has taken place to separate traffic
that moves at significant different speeds.

Hope this helps too,

Bert Araali