[Tagging] Proposed rewrite Of highway=track wiki page

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Wed Mar 10 17:36:48 UTC 2021

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 12:55:18AM +0100, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> Am Di., 9. März 2021 um 23:24 Uhr schrieb Florian Lohoff <f at zz.de>:
>

> > service -> Private property or usage.
> >         Most likely Germany specific indication: Not when having names.
> >         Only Public roads are given official names in Germany. (Very few
> >         exceptions). Not for through traffic.
>

> I agree with "not for through traffic", but we should not assume any dead
> end street is a service road. There are many no-exit roads which are
> residential roads. Also, I am aware of some private roads that have names,
> sometimes parts of a road are public, others are private. Here is a private
> square with an official (publicly assigned) name:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/159081777#map=19/52.51077/13.37576
> This adjacent road IIRR is also a private road with a name:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/4474915

In German "Nicht alles was hinkt ist ein Vergleich" - Of course the
opposite is not valid.

And as i said - There are exception. Its just a rule of thumb for
differentiation (IMHO)

There are very obscure legacy situation with private roads with public
names, or public roads with private legal entitlements. Basically
you are in contractual law between the community and third partys.

At least in Germany these are pretty rare.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                     f at zz.de