[Tagging] Proposal - Library of things and Tool library

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Thu Mar 18 10:58:26 UTC 2021

On 18.03.2021 10:59, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging wrote:
> In general: thanks for making this proposal!
>
> One question, as such objects are unknown to me:
> is it acting as actual public library (rental is nearly free) or is it rental shop
> using "library" for branding/advertisement purposes and there are noticeable fees?
>
> In other words - would fee=no be applicable (or implied) tag?

I'd oppose the use of the term 'library' in the context of other items than books or their
electronic equivalents. The term "library" is based on the Latin liber for book or document,
contained in Latin libraria (collection of books) and librarium (container for books).

The use of 'library' for renting other objects (tools, toys, things) that are not storing knowledge
is confusing. That the term is used for marketing such places (probably by book-agnostic people)
should not drive tagging in OSM.

I'd prefer a generic term, focusing on the rental, e.g. amenity=object_rental, which can
be specified to the particular object=[tool|toy|appliance].

tom