[Tagging] Difference between busways and bus-only service roads

Colin Gzesh colgza at tutanota.de
Sat Mar 20 17:23:56 UTC 2021

> Where I have a different opinion than you, is to propose a new value,
> whereas if I had met one, I would have tended to choose a transit value,
> for example highway=tertiary because I don't think it's useful nor
> coherent to have different highway= values for each type of vehicle (a
> special road for the transit of taxi, trucks, buses, articulated buses,
> trucks with trailers, gas buses, electric buses, ...)

I have seen this point raised again and again, and it is certainly a conundrum.

`highway=*` values are differentiated by their function and importance. Busways characteristically have an extremely high level of importance for transit users (so `highway=service` would be inappropriate), but also an extremely low level of importance for motorists and other road users (so `highway=trunk` or `highway=primary` would be inappropriate).

But the fact that the many instances of this type of road all around the world share the same distinctive functionality suggests to me that they need a distinctive tagging scheme.

Perhaps what I need to do is define busways without relying on their implied access tags.

Would you accept my proposal if I instead defined busways as "major roadways that are incredibly important for transit users and transit operators, but serve no role for motorists as a part of a country's road network"?

Mar 20, 2021, 11:45 by marc_marc at mailo.com: