[Tagging] webpage=*

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Sun Mar 21 02:05:49 UTC 2021

On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 5:07 PM Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> FWIW, "webpage" is not in use at all, and I do not see a reason to
> introduce it, because we already use "url" for what I can imagine webpage
> could be good for.
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=webpage
>
> The other 2 have a distinct meaning, more or less:
> - website is typically understood to mean the official website, usually
> run by the object or a mother organization.
> - url is for all other urls (in particular those that are not covered by a
> more specific tag).
>
> Because of the people that want to help us by standardizing tagging, you
> should now also have a look at "contact:website", which has by today grown
> to 335.148 uses (15% of "website"), but you can still safely ignore
> "contact:url"  (currently less than 50).
>
> I agree with Martin that there isn't a good reason to introduce another
version. One big concern I have is the confusion people will have when they
see multiple versions of  a website tag in their favorite editor. Most will
probably not read the wiki, so it will be up to the editor developers to
come up with a good way to differentiate the various schemes. If people
don't take the time to pick the right tag, we'll end up with mixed data.

Best,
Clifford

--
@osm_washington