[Tagging] Proposal - Library of things and Tool library

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 12:57:23 UTC 2021

On Sat, 20 Mar 2021 at 21:58, Tom Pfeifer <t.pfeifer at computer.org> wrote:

> On 20.03.2021 10:38, Bert -Araali- Van Opstal wrote:
> > So I would prefer to tag them all under one top-level tag.
> amenity=library. "A place where you can  reference, loan or borrow items
> from a collection at a periodic fee or for free".
> >

> If you started defining the tag from scratch, that would be a good idea.
> However, we have 86069 amenity=library already, and widening the
> definition so significantly would make them all of a sudden ambiguous.

Fixable if, and only if, ALL tools are instantaneously adapted to understand
what collections are.  Editors, QA tools and renderers must all make the
change near-simultaneously.

Apart from that, we already have amenity=toy_library.   So that would have
to be brought into the new scheme, tools adapted, AND a mass edit applied.

Not practicable.

> You could of course create the collection=* key and apply that to both,
> the existing
> amenity=library, and the to-be-defined tag for object libraries.

Problem 1 is that traditional libraries would have to have an implied
collection=books and toy libraries an implied collection=toys.  Feasible,
maybe.

Problem 2 is pushback from some editors that populate drop-downs from
our wikidata and/or wiki pages.  The authors of some of those don't like it
when drop-downs get values that are inconsistent with main keys:
amenity=toy_library would get a collection drop-down that includes
tools, kitchen appliances, etc.  And those authors absolutely hate
adding special-cases to code so that amenity=toy_library doesn't
get tools in the drop-down.

Best to keep collections=* for thing libraries.  Except for problem 3.
I know of at least one traditional book library that also offers tools.
But I doubt toy libraries will ever offer real, functioning chainsaws.

So collection=* applying to traditional book libraries and toy libraries
is a definite maybe.  There are problems either way.

--
Paul