[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Discouraging the use of deprecated schemes

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Sun Mar 21 14:10:32 UTC 2021

On Sunday 21 March 2021, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> This tagging list and the whole wiki voting system are good enough to
> make (weak) recommendations, but they are not good enough to "highly
> discourage" anything or make binding decisions.

I would go a step further even - the whole tagging proposal process is
primarily useful to gather feedback on the merits and the issues of
certain tagging ideas.  The main gain of going through a proposal
process is to gather such feedback.  And the 'voting' as part of the
proposal process is meant to gauge if there is consensus among those
engaging in the process that the feedback received has been adequately
taken into account.   It has never been intended to lead to a decision
that is in any way binding to anyone.

What this proposal tries to do is essentially to abolish the way we
develop tagging in OSM from within, meaning that using the current
processes we have (with all the flaws they evidently have as partly
pointed out by Frederik) it tries to gather support for putting an axe
to the very core of these processes (and without as you might notice
any vision for a new, more centralized and authoritarian system of
tagging being presented).

The principal issues this raises aside - as Mateusz points out on the
wiki there is not even a rationale presented as to why the author
thinks this is a good idea beneficial for OpenStreetMap as a whole
(where the majority of people don't speak English and will not
participate in any proposal processes).

Practically of course a success of this proposal (as unlikely and
formally questionable it might be) would probably have the opposite
effect of what is intended.  It would make the wiki less meaningful as
a source of information on the actual meaning of tags in the OSM
database (i.e. how tags are actually used as opposed to how some people
think tags should be used) and would turn it even more into a echo
chamber platform for a small subset of the OSM community largely
detatched from the mapping practice of the larger international
community.

Deprecation in our current open tagging system works as simple as this:
If there is consensus in the mapper community that a certain tag is not
to be used any more it will - without the need for any further
enforcement or discouragement - go out of use over time.  And that can
then correctly be documented on the wiki.  We have plently of cases
where this can be seen to work quite well (landuse=farm, highway=ford,
natural=moor just to name a few).

--
Christoph Hormann
https://www.imagico.de/