[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Discouraging the use of deprecated schemes

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 01:27:14 UTC 2021

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 at 00:15, Christoph Hormann <osm at imagico.de> wrote:

> On Sunday 21 March 2021, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> >
> > This tagging list and the whole wiki voting system are good enough to
> > make (weak) recommendations, but they are not good enough to "highly
> > discourage" anything or make binding decisions.
>
> I would go a step further even - the whole tagging proposal process is
> primarily useful to gather feedback on the merits and the issues of
> certain tagging ideas.  The main gain of going through a proposal
> process is to gather such feedback.  And the 'voting' as part of the
> proposal process is meant to gauge if there is consensus among those
> engaging in the process that the feedback received has been adequately
> taken into account.   It has never been intended to lead to a decision
> that is in any way binding to anyone.

In that case, is it worth while even keeping voting as part of the proposal
process?

"I" have put forward a proposal. Other people have made comments which I
have either taken on board fully, modified slightly then used, or pointed
out that I don't agree with their suggestions for this reason (& they may
or may not make a further comment in response).

Once that has been done, is there any real point in going through the
voting process, so that same handful of people can say yes, no or maybe, &
I can say "Yay, I passed the 3:1 mark - I win!" :-)

Maybe every wiki page should have a pro / cons box included on it, so if
"you" think there is something wrong with the idea, you can say "I have
concerns about "this aspect" - see Discussion Page", where you can detail
what you think is the matter, but which possibly no-one else agrees is a
problem?

Thanks

Graeme