[Tagging] Mapping nonexistent paths

ael witwall3 at disroot.org
Mon Mar 22 15:42:04 UTC 2021

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 06:09:26PM +0300, Bert -Araali- Van Opstal wrote:

> On 22/03/2021 15:22, ael via Tagging wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 04:06:37PM -0600, brad wrote:
> > > A nonexistant path shouldn't be mapped.
> > Justification? That seems just dogmatic. A virtual path (or some
> > equivalent) solves a longstanding problem with routers failing to cross
> > accessible open ground.
>
> All routers are used by humans, mostly with a map, if I as a human decide to
> use a less sophisticated one I can look at the map or at the location where
> I am to decide where to pass.

I use several routers especially when I am not very familiar with an
area. I have often been directed far from a quick direct route because
the routers do not cross open land. WIthout making a detour, I don't know
whether that might be because there is a barrier or access tag that the
router knows about but which is not shown on the map I am using. Often
I have only a tiny screen with me.

So, my direct experience with routers suggests that something like a
"virtual" path could be very useful. Note that I did not suggest it.
I just think that the basic idea could be very useful and fits a KISS
principle: Keep It Simple St.....

ael