[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Discouraging the use of deprecated schemes

Tim Magee timothy at eastlincoln.net
Mon Mar 22 20:09:47 UTC 2021

> This proposal intends to discourage/"ban" the use of tags when the
> following applies:

First question: Do we want to "discourage" the use of these tags or
"ban" them?  Banning a tag sounds like we might take action against
mappers who use the banned tag. If we discourage a tag, I wouldn't
expect any such action. I highly oppose taking any punative action
against a mapper for merely using a banned tag.

Also, why in version 2 of your proposed rewrite do you state that it is
"highly discouraged" to interpret the tag? I don't think we need that
addendum.

I personally wouldn't mind something like the following:

This feature has been labeled as deprecated. The recommended replacement
is: changing_table=*.
The reason is documented in Deprecated features. If you are uploading
new data, it is highly discouraged to use this tag, though data
consumers are still free to continue to use or interpret this tag as
they see fit.
Under no circumstances should you (semi-)automatically change
“deprecated” tags to something else in the database on a large scale
without conforming to the Automated Edits code of conduct. Any such
change will be reverted.

However, I think the current message as written is really strong enough.