[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Discouraging the use of deprecated schemes

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 22:32:53 UTC 2021

sent from a phone

> On 22 Mar 2021, at 12:34, Tomas Straupis <tomasstraupis at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Miniscule
> group of wiki/tagging people declaring themselves "approvers" is
> ridiculous. In the same way you can declare yourself Kings, Queens,
> Popes or whatever, but it will not matter to anyone else but you. So
> all your "approvals" is only between you - small group of people, not
> between OSM community - hundreds of thousands of OSM'ers - who do not
> care not only participating, but even reading what you write.

Tomas, I can understand that this is a topic important to you, but please refrain from ad hominems vs. Mateusz, let us argue about the concepts.

It is true that there is a group of people on the tagging mailing list that discusses almost any tagging topic, while other people only step in for a specific tagging question, but most people never read any of the messages.
But it is an open forum, together with the wiki proposal process it is the only formal way open to the whole community, to discuss tagging ideas on an equal level, the alternative are presets from editors. And for the mailing list the entry level is almost nonexistent, you only have to subscribe your email address and you can post to any topic as you like, and open threads as you feel useful. All discussions are publicly archived and can be read (ok, could be read^^).

We’re not the self appointed kings of tagging, but apparently the only ones willing to give their time for documenting the tags and agreeing on definitions.

Cheers Martin