[Tagging] Mapping nonexistent paths

Niels Elgaard Larsen elgaard at agol.dk
Tue Mar 23 09:11:04 UTC 2021

ael via Tagging:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 06:09:26PM +0300, Bert -Araali- Van Opstal wrote:

>>> Justification? That seems just dogmatic. A virtual path (or some
>>> equivalent) solves a longstanding problem with routers failing to cross
>>> accessible open ground.
>>>
>>> If someone can walk across a space in a safe and legal way, a "path"
>>> comes into existence, at least in the abstract.
>>>
>>> I do think that "virtual" rather than "visibility=no" conveys that
>>> situation more clearly.
>>>
>>> ael
>> So are you actually saying we should map "virtual", "non-visible", in
>> essence non-verifiable things ?
>
> No. This is verifiable. I can survey to determine that it is possible to
> walk across an area. It is a possible path for me.

I agree and sometimes we map the paths that are most natural to follow.
E.g., a square might have benches, bollards, trees, water fountains, etc. In the
summer there might be tables and chairs belonging to nearby restaurants.

All those things could be mapped but often are not. And even if they are mapped, we
cannot expect routers to figure out the natural way to navigate. Even if a pedestrian
is able to squeeze between e.g., the trashcan and the bench that is not how the
pedestrian would like to cross the square.

There might be steps and small bridges, that should be connected to the rest of the ways.

Sometimes we can see traces on the ground, grass worn off, tire marks, tracks in
snow, etc.
Or on aereals, lines of people walking the same way.

>> Map for the router?  A router is a piece of software, some less some more
>> sophisticated, the more sophisticated ones could suggest where to pass.

Can anyone give an example of such a sophisticated router available to OSM users?

--
Niels Elgaard Larsen