[Tagging] Tag proposal for gender-neutral toilets on diversity-talk

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Mar 23 11:56:49 UTC 2021

Mar 23, 2021, 11:35 by tagging at openstreetmap.org:

> Hi everyone, I'm new here, please be nice :)

Hello and welcome!

> I just opened a thread on diversity-talk about how gender-neutral
> toilets should be tagged. I suspect the thread will be interesting to
> everyone on this list (tagging), and I'd love to have feedback and
> thoughts from more participants.
>
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/diversity-talk/2021-March/000529.html
>
> The issues with the existing methods of tagging gender-neutral toilets
> have been brought up before - one notable discussion was in 2018 - but
> nothing about the situation has improved yet. I'm hoping I can finally
> change that.
>
> Thanks for your interest, and hope to see you in that thread!

This seems a workable tagging schema for me that would
solve some existing issues and record this kind of info.

This information is verifiable and OK to map in general.

Overall it seems that all_genders=yes/no is a well designed tag.
But

> State that "unisex=yes" is equivalent to "male=yes, female=yes"

Not entirely sure.

Maybe state that it was used both in male=yes and female=yes
and all_genders=yes meaning. And that replacing by more clear tags
is likely a good idea?

Or mention that dominant use was male=yes, female=yes meaning,
but also sometimes used in all_genders=yes meaning?

BTW, you may be interested in
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features

It is definitely not mandatory, it is also OK to simply start using a new tag
(see https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Any_tags_you_like ),
but may help confirming that this tagging schema will work as intended.