[Tagging] Mapping nonexistent paths

Brian M. Sperlongano zelonewolf at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 13:37:32 UTC 2021

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 9:19 AM Bert -Araali- Van Opstal <
bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23/03/2021 15:11, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging wrote:
>
> Mar 23, 2021, 12:57 by pelderson at gmail.com:
>
> I tag lots of recreational routes as route relations. A route is a
> continuous chain of connected ways. In lots of places I need a linking way
> to keep the chain continuous, especially in hiking routes, because  there
> is no actual official link or path.
>
> E.g. Often a cycleway is present for a stretch along a road. Then it just
> stops. Pedestrians and cyclists will continue on the side of the road. If
> the path is mapped, it will connect, at the end, to the centerline of the
> road with a virtual path, to provide a continuous chain for
> routing (including "manual routing" in route relations). This gets more
> complicated when footways and cycleways are both mapped separately, which
> is an increasing trend.
>
> The route or way doesn't stop, the pavement stops, the separation stops.
> The route just continues.  Its perfectly OK to map those with our current
> tagging scheme. Why would you want to use link here ? A link is very
> distinguishable in it's function, use and most of the time appearance.
> It's not a "soft" link.
> As you say, if there is no clear separate "link" don't use link. But what
> does "virtual" add here ? Just use surface tagging if you feel the need to
> indicate the different surface of those small links.

As I understand it, a "virtual" path is one that describes actual usage
(where people walk, and should therefore be routed on) but does not
manifest in any physical way.  Thus, a renderer could choose to not render
these virtual connections (as they do not physically appear in the world)
while routers can still use the data of "people walk across this place
where there is no path".  Without some kind of tagging like virtual (or
whatever it gets called), there is no way for renderers (who wish to
differentiate such things) to discern the habitual paths of humans across
the ground from physically manifested paths.