[Tagging] How to tag a narrow cul de sac without turning possibility

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 21:27:38 UTC 2021

The width=* does not help (even though I normally tag it anyway). The
essential feature of these roads is the absence of highway=turning_circle
and turning_loop, and also of the possibility of a three-point-turn
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-point_turn> for anything of the size
of a  normal car and upwards.
I could put a width=* on the last node of the way, but that breaks all
kinds of conventions.

The noexit=yes is not suitable as it is only intended for mappers. In
addition it only says this road leads to nowhere, but it does not say that
there is no road widening for turning.

The bicycle or motorcycle turning issue I left out for simplicity. Also if
you have a Smart-sized car you may be able to turn around.

Looking at it from the functional point of view, i.e. how can a
bicycle/car/hgv router decide if I need to leave the road in reverse.
It needs to know the width of the road and the fact that is non widened at
the dead end.
Hence two tags: width=* on the way, and highway=not_widened, or
not-widened=yes, on the end node.