[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Discouraging the use of deprecated schemes

mail at marcos-martinez.net mail at marcos-martinez.net
Wed Mar 24 00:11:24 UTC 2021

Hi Martin,

	* It is true that there is a group of people on the tagging mailing
list that discusses almost any tagging topic, while other people only
step in for a specific tagging question, but most people never read any
of the messages.
But it is an open forum, together with the wiki proposal process it is
the only formal way open to the whole community, to discuss tagging
ideas on an equal level, the alternative are presets from editors. And
for the mailing list the entry level is almost nonexistent, you only
have to subscribe your email address and you can post to any topic as
you like, and open threads as you feel useful. All discussions are
publicly archived and can be read (ok, could be read^^).

We're not the self appointed kings of tagging, but apparently the only
ones willing to give their time for documenting the tags and agreeing on
definitions.

I agree, the argument that there are only few people is not valid for
me. As you point out, everybody can join. It is like having an election
and nobody turns up to vote. You then can't really complain about the
outcome. What we need is promoting people to participate and implement
tools the allow us to do so in an easy and efficient way. Stating that
instead we shouldn't have any kind of "governance" is counterproductive.
It just shifts the power into a far less transparent zone.

Cheers,

Marcos