[Tagging] Tag proposal for gender-neutral toilets

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 01:46:03 UTC 2021

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 at 01:15, Cadence Ember via Tagging <
tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> I think it's still okay to do this? If the toilet for wheelchair users
> does not have a gender marker, then it's okay for nonbinary people to
> use it, since it's, well, the only toilet they can use.

That may be true in your country but it is not so in the UK.   For most
public toilets here there is a lock on the disabled facility, needing a
special key.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disability_Rights_UK#National_Key_Scheme

Admittedly, obtaining a key is as simple as self-certifying that you have
a physical or mental disability which means you need to use the disabled
facilities,  Nonbinary UK citizens, knowing about how things operate,
would apply for such a key if they felt it necessary.  Nonbinary visitors
from
other countries would not necessarily know of this need for a key.  The
same could be said of wheelchair users from other countries but I
suspect they may be more likely to check things out before travelling.

--
Paul