[Tagging] Cemetery / Inclusion of parking

Peter Neale nealepb at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 27 10:57:58 UTC 2021

FWIW I would consider any car park that "belongs to" the cemetery  (owned by the cemetery / only used by visitors to the cemetery / within the cemetery boundary) as being part of the landuse=cemetery.  An adjacent car park on a public road would NOT be part of the landuse cemetery.
Regards,Peter(PeterPan99)

    On Saturday, 27 March 2021, 10:41:36 GMT, Florian Lohoff <f at zz.de> wrote:

 On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 01:52:26PM +0300, Bert -Araali- Van Opstal wrote:
> In my opinion landuse=cemetery should only be used for the actual land where
> human remains are burried, preserved above ground or human remains as ashes
> are kept in urns or spread. Cemeteries are not attached to a place of
> worship, for those we have grave-yard. It is in my opinion a vary valid
> landuse tag, not an amenity, as in many countries, cemeteries are individual
> or multiple graves on private land. Often and most culturally not accepted
> to construct a road, a parking or other landuse without relocation or
> acceptance by the descendants and/or local community.
> The definition says it should not include parking areas, but does include
> inner green spaces.
>
> The diversity however of what kind of other land uses can be found on
> cemeteries is very diverse world wide. It might even contain larger
> buildings (not churches etc...) like cafeterias, playgrounds, caretaker
> premises, roads, ... .
> So I would propose to use the cemetery tag only for those places actually
> used or destined to be used (like the inner green spaces, which might be
> further detailed with natural=* or landcover=* polygons and tags), other
> facilities and infrastructure to be mapped and tagged with their most
> appropriate landuse=*, amenity=* and highway=*.

But why do you treat landuse=cemetery different than landuse=retail?
Landuses (We had this discussion on this very list in the thread about
micromapping with landuse e.g. landuse=hedge) are large swaths of land
classification. So all objects belonging to this cemetery should
be within this landuse.

And what about cultures where people are buried only in tombs, sometimes
large and multi storeys - Are these to be excluded because these are
buildings?

So landuse=cemetery has large cultural diversity, this is why i think
these "exclude parking spaces" is wrong as it only fits some few
places in this world.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                    f at zz.de