[Tagging] Clubhouse vs Community Centre

nathan case nathancase at outlook.com
Wed Mar 31 12:59:25 UTC 2021

Hi all,

A question has arisen out of Fizzie41's proposed military cadet work [1] about how to tag the building in which the cadets would meet as. But it holds more widely than that.

Currently, the recommended tagging scheme [2] for buildings in which a club meets is using the amenity=community_centre [3] tag, specifically:

amenity=community_centre
community_centre=club_home
community_centre:for=*

This scheme is currently used in 1,421 cases (having started being in use from January 2016) [4]. However, this recommendation appears to have been via a Wiki edit, rather than an accepted proposal and is not without its controversy [5].

My concern with this approach is that a private building, which is used exclusively by one club only, and holds no other "community" events cannot possibly be called a community centre. It is, and should be stored as, a clubhouse.

A community centre will often (though not always) be owned by a local government organisation, e.g. parish council, or national charity body, e.g. YMCA. It will host local community events (e.g. town hall sessions), be used by multiple clubs, and be available for hire for private functions (e.g. birthday celebrations). Of course, some clubs do meet in community centres and, in those cases, the building should obviously be tagged as a community centre.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on this issue and potential options going forward.

Is this situation OK as is, or should we consider amenity=clubhouse or building=clubhouse (both already exist) as options for buildings in which a single club operates from? Some other tags in use which may be relevant:

golf=clubhouse [6]
building = clubhouse (619 uses) [7]
building = club_house (196 uses) [8]
amenity = clubhouse (113 uses) [9]