[Tagging] healthcare=alternative + sport=yoga

Robert Skedgell rob at hubris.org.uk
Wed Mar 31 19:37:15 UTC 2021

On 31/03/2021 18:22, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 at 17:58, Jez Nicholson <jez.nicholson at gmail.com
> <mailto:jez.nicholson at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I do have an interest in sports and physical fitness. Yoga and
>     pilates are actually quite hard work
>

> "Hard work" does not equate to "sport," nor does "exertion."  Or we'd have
> Olympic coal mining, Olympic tree-felling, etc.  Pilates, since it is
> supposed
> to help attain physical fitness might just qualify, if you squint hard and
> read between the lines.  Yoga, as a system of meditation which MAY involve
> exercise appears not to qualify.
>
> I am looking forward to Olympic Yoga where people sit in various poses,
> doing nothing at all, for hours.  It's probably more interesting than
> synchronized swimming.

There are forms of yoga which are focused more on meditation (arguably
more authentic forms...) where sport=* makes less sense.

There are also yoga classes for runners, cyclists and swimmers are at
the stretching end of strength and conditioning training. They're as
much sport=* as many other activities which one might do in a gym.
Admittedly it's still less interesting than synchronised swimming for
spectators*, but spectators aren't really the point here.

* except floatfit yoga and SUP yoga, where some people fall into the
water quite a lot :-)

--
Robert Skedgell