[Tagging] How to tag a verge with e.g. a paved or compacted surface?

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Sun May 2 20:16:26 UTC 2021

How to tag a verge with e.g. a paved or compacted surface?
The picture on https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:verge#On_Highway
shows a compacted surface. If I tag surface=asphalt and verge=yes on the
highway, would it be right to tag verge:surface=compacted?

I know lots of verges, most are grass or low vegetation, but quite a few
have different surface, e.g. half-open bricks, tile or plates to harden
hazardous soft verges, many are just dirt or gravel-ish, etc.

Or, if I tag a verge as an area feature with surface=*, what would be the
main tag?
area:highway=verge?

PS I don't care about if it currently renders, I do care about unambiguous
tagging of information and, therefore, renderability).

Peter Elderson